The cold weather of the winter months means that seniors who would normally pass their time outside have to explore different options for keeping busy and entertained.
There are so many things to do outside when the weather is warm, and seniors often find themselves more motivated to participate in activities out of the house when they don’t have to bundle up in layers of clothing just to get in the car. That being said, there are actually a whole host of reasons to enjoy the wintertime, despite the challenges it may present.
The winter provides a nice excuse to get cozied up inside with blankets, a roaring fire, and a nice hot drink and also creates an opportunity for seniors to explore new games and hobbies to try inside.
Indoor Activities for Seniors
While the winter doesn’t strictly prevent seniors from spending time outside, it can make things a little more challenging in ways that motivate seniors to seek out more indoor activities, such as the following:
- Board and Card Games: Sitting at the kitchen table with friends or family playing a game of cards or a board game you all enjoy can be a great deal of fun. Just sitting around chatting, and playing a fun game can be a great social opportunity for seniors and can bring people together to enjoy an activity that is manageable for everyone in the winter.
- Bowling: Bowling can be a great activity to do with friends that allows for ample chatting time, some good physical activity, and an indoor setting that helps shut out the winter cold.
- Yoga: Yoga is a great, low-impact activity that seniors can do at home or out in the community. Whether it be a class with friends or a solo practice at home, Yoga can be a great activity for seniors who want to keep active but stay calm and warm inside.
- Video Games: Today’s seniors are more tech-savvy than ever in a lot of cases, and many seniors enjoy playing games on systems such as Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Systems, or even tablets and smartphones. While spending all day in front of the screen playing might not be the best idea, a few hours spent playing a puzzle game, having a digital adventure, or even playing virtual golf can be great ways for seniors to forget the cold winter outside.
- Reading: With all the cozy evenings inside keeping warm come many opportunities to pick up a book and escape or learn something new. Trips to the library can also be good outings that require minimal time out in the cold.
- Classes: During the winter might be a great time to take up a class and learn a new skill. Seniors with interest in learning to draw, play and instrument, take up a new sport, or even take an academic or training class might find it a great distraction and activity when the weather outside is too frightful to face.
- Groups and Clubs: For seniors who need a good opportunity to get social, there are tons of clubs and groups that seniors can join related to any interest they may have. There are support groups to talk about shared experiences, book clubs to talk about recent reads, cultural groups for people with shared language or history, and so much more that seniors can enjoy all year round, but that often offer good indoor opportunities for the wintertime.
There are activities available to seniors with any interest and any level of ability that can help to keep them entertained and busy while the weather is cold.
Outside Isn’t Off Limits
With so many options of things to do inside, seniors who aren’t fond of the cold can manage to mostly avoid the chill of winter, but some seniors may enjoy heading outside for small amounts of time to appreciate the beauty that winter does offer.
Many seniors can still in enjoy walks outside in the winter as long as they are properly bundled up, and some might even enjoy things like skating or other winter activities that are well-suited to their mobility and level of comfort.
There are many things about winter that can be challenging, but there are so many things to do to keep seniors busy and enjoying themselves that it won’t feel like too long before the sun is out and the warmer weather is back again.